Monday, January 19, 2015

Clarification By Chairman Tommy Smith



 Dear friends,

 Commissioner Preston told me about 30 seconds before I called the December 16, 2014 meeting to order that he would be amending the agenda to present an issue and resolution. He gave me a package that I had not seen before the meeting. The resolution called for a new act to be created that would strip the Chairman of all the duties that was approved by the voters in the November 1990 election and give all of the power to run Henry County to a County Manager. The vote was 5 yes votes to approve and 1 no vote. I voted no. I signed the resolution as Chairman, even though I voted no simply because it is the duty of the Chairman to sign all Board resolutions as well as the County Clerk has a duty to attest. I am adamantly against taking the power from an elected official and giving it to a hired "At Will" employee. The current County Manager was hired by 4 Commissioners. The current Chairman was hired by almost 46,000 citizens. In the event you agree with me it is imperative that to contact your state representatives and state senators and share your thoughts with them. If they are successful any future election of a county wide Chairman will be merely a voting exercise. Please feel free to share with your family and friends.
Thank you,

Tommy N. Smith


Henry County Act 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment