Monday, May 4, 2015

Stockbridge Mayor For 31 Years Passes Away


R. G. Rudy Kelley
July 26, 1934 - May 3, 2015
R. G. Rudy Kelley, age 80, of Stockbridge, GA died Sunday, May 3, 2015. He was born in Kelleytown, GA to the late Clifton Cloud and Raleigh Vee Crumbley Kelley. Rudy was Presbyterian, a Veteran of the United States Army, Owner / Operator of Southside Tire Company. He served as Mayor of Stockbridge for 31 years. While serving as Mayor, he was a member of Atlanta Regional Commission. He was owner of Wireless ETC. Rudy’s favorite past time was a round of golf. He was a member of the Eagles Landing Country Club. He was a loving husband, father,and,grandfather.

Mr. Kelley is survived by his wife of 59 years Mary Jo Kelley; children, Rudy (Natalie) Kelley, Jr., Kim Kelley, Kristy (Chris) Harris; siblings, Billy Kelley
Mary Ann Brisendine; grandchildren, Anna and Lauren Harris; and Kassie Bella his four legged daughter.

Funeral Services will be held at 3:00pm on Wednesday, May 6, 2015 at First United Methodist Church of Stockbridge. Interment will follow at Kelley Presbyterian Church Cemetery. The family will receive friends Tuesday, May 5, 2015 from 1:00 - 3:00pm and 6:00 - 8:00pm at the Funeral Home.

I will truly miss Rudy (Mayor Kelley) as he was a long and good steward of the City of Stockbridge. I knew him before he ever became Mayor of the city. His family being from Kelleytown and his brothers and his sister knew my family as we lived in McDonough. My uncle grew up with them. He was the late Sam McCullough, Jr. or “Little Sam” as he was known. His parents Sam and Myrtice McCullough are buried at the Kelley Presbyterian Church on Airline Road. I remember Rudy having his tire store underneath the old Moseley Furniture Store Shopping Center on North Henry. Then, he built Southside Tire on the property next door. He saw a lot of changes come to Stockbridge during his tenure. The hwy through town was four laned and a bridge built over the railroad. He began in the old city hall on North Berry Street that was torn down to build the Ted Strickland Community Building. He was mayor in the City Hall at the corner of S. Lee Street and N. Henry Blvd. Then the new city hall is named for him. Rudy did a lot for people over the years to help them and those who know this do remember it. I know my late father was a friend to Rudy and knew that Rudy was a good man and tried his best to do what was right for everyone in business and city hall. I saw Rudy at the funeral of former Councilman G.W. “Jr.” Evans and then at the dedication of his painting at city hall recently. Lord I know that Rudy was always there when needed. I remember him shaking my hand when I shared that big award that time. He said that I put the county and city on the map. I told him he was being too gracious. I remember seeing Rudy and Miss Mary Jo a while back at the Walgreens Drugstore and he never failed to speak and have a few words with me. Time is passing quickly my friends and so many of those that I have known over the past 45 years are passing along quickly now and we are getting to the time when we will be stepping over to the other side. Some of us sooner than others but the time is getting near. I want to say to the family that I respected Rudy and I want them to know that the Lord is there for them at this time because it is a time of reflection and memories. May God Bless You All.

Pastor Dr. Mike and Linda Moon


2 comments:

  1. I am related to the family through my ancestor Darius Willingham 1816-1896 who married Sarah Clifton Kelley the daughter of Reuben Kelley.

    ReplyDelete